Investment Strategies

Why leave your money sitting in a bank account earning for other people when you can put it to work for yourself?

BAS is dedicated to tested and proven investment strategies and concepts.

Investment Basics: What You Should Know

The world of investing can seem mind-boggling for a beginning investor. How do you decide what type of security to invest in? Should you choose stocks, bonds or a combination of investments? What about mutual funds? How do you choose a particular fund, stock or bond? How do you assess the risk to your money?

Investing In Mutual Funds: The Time-Tested Guidelines

Mutual funds are an excellent way to invest in stocks, bonds and other securities. They can be a good choice of investment.

Asset Allocation: How To Diversify For Maximum Return

Contrary to popular belief, asset allocation, which refers to the types or classes of securities owned, is generally the most important factor in determining the return on your investments, responsible for about 90 percent of the return according to experts. The remaining 10 percent of the return is determined by which particular investments (stock, bond, mutual fund, etc.) you select and when you decide to buy them.

Mutual Fund Taxation: How To Cut The Tax Bite

How are distributions from mutual funds taxed? What happens when they are reinvested? How are capital gains on sales of mutual funds determined? We can provide you with tips on reducing the tax on mutual fund activities.

Buying On Margin: How It Works and What To Watch Out For

“Buying on margin” is borrowing money from your broker to buy a stock and using your investment as collateral. Investors generally use margin to increase their purchasing power so that they can own more stock without fully paying for it. But margin exposes investors to the potential for higher losses.

Penny Stocks: How To Investigate Them and Avoid the Traps

Information is the investor’s best tool when it comes to investing wisely. But accurate information about “microcap stocks” — low-priced stocks issued by the smallest of companies, often called “penny stocks” — may be difficult to find. Many microcap companies do not file financial reports with the SEC, so it’s hard for investors to get the facts about the company’s management, products, services, and finances.

Financial Planning Checklist

Once you’ve finished with your tax planning for the year, and your return is safely on its way to the IRS, you’re at an excellent point for a quick financial check-up. Your tax return is handy, as a quick snapshot of your financial situation and the figures are recent and accurate.

Annuities: How They Work and When You Should Use Them

Annuities may help you meet some of your mid and long-range goals such as planning for your retirement and for a child’s college education.

Investment Clubs: What You Need To Know

In recent years, interest in investment clubs has grown tremendously. BAS can tell you what you need to know about investors’ clubs before getting involved with one.

Retirement Saving Tips

At BAS we have several proven techniques to saving money early for retirement, ensuring you a safe and secure future.

Swap Tactic Lets You Defer Capital Gains Tax

If you’re a savvy investor, you probably know that you must generally report as income any mutual fund distributions whether you reinvest them or exchange shares in one fund for shares of another. In other words, you must report and pay any capital gains tax owed.

Your Retirement Plan: How To Get Started

The number of people who are financially unprepared for retirement is staggering. One study revealed that more than half of the adults in the U.S. were planning to depend solely on Social Security for retirement income.

Changing Jobs? Don’t Forget Your 401(k)

One of the most important questions you face when changing job is what to do with the money in your 401(k) because making the wrong move could cost you thousands of dollars or more in taxes and lower returns.

Roth IRAs: How They Work and How To Use Them

Roth IRAs differ from other tax-favored retirement plans, including other IRAs (called “traditional IRAs”), in that they promise complete tax exemption on distribution. There are other important differences as well, and many qualifications about their use.

How Brokers Execute Trades: What Every Investor Should Know

When you place an order to buy or sell stock, you might not think about where or how your broker will execute the trade. But where and how your order is executed can impact the overall costs of the transaction, including the price you pay for the stock. Here’s what you should know about trade execution.